1. Read Bottom Up by Neel Shah and Skye Chatham. Read Bottom Up is a love story for the digital age. It’s written entirely in email and text message format…so while it is cute and entertaining, it will take you about two hours to read all the way through. The novel uses honesty and humor to show how digital communication has changed the dating game. I definitely wasn’t in love with this book (there’s just nothing that sticks with you), but if you’re in the mood for something breezy and charming, this is a good option.
2. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan. Not gonna lie, I LOVED this book. The Royal We is basically Kate Middleton fan fiction, and it’s so just entertaining. Not only that, but the writing is surprisingly good—witty, engaging, and just the perfect amount of detail. If you love the royals (don’t we all?) and you love to read, you will devour this book.
3. A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. This book has been on so many reading lists lately, and I finally got my hands on it. A Spool of Blue Thread is a beautifully written story about families, togetherness, forgiveness, and memories. Anne Tyler has a true gift for character development and bringing readers into the heart of the story. She captures the intricacies, pains, and joys of what it means to be a part of family. It’s the kind of book you need to read slowly in order to really soak it all in. Fantastic writing.
Friday Links are a round-up of my favorite posts/videos/projects/photos from around the web.
Hello friends! It’s Friday, and I could not be more thankful. August is probably the busiest, craziest time of the year for me, and I feel like I’m running on fumes. I’m looking forward to a few days of rest, some baseball, and spending time with my husband. Here’s to wonderful weekend! XO
For your weekend reading pleasure…
- This post on the power of silence. Needing a little more of this in my life this week!
- I love these words on marriage, God, and adoration. So good. And to grow in love—to keep falling in love—I have to shift with it.
- This post on the internet, words, and choosing love. Just yes.
Reading: A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I’ve had a huge stack of books on my nightstand all summer, and this one was recommended to me over and over again. Summer reading is one of my favorite things on the world (even better when it happens on the beach), so I’ll let you know how this one turns out!
Watching: Bachelor in Paradise (and no, I have no shame). One of the best parts of my week is getting together with my friends to watch Bachelor/Bachelor in Paradise. It’s a guilty pleasure, and of course we love the drama—but it also gives us an excuse to get together once a week, laugh, and catch up on each other’s lives. The older I get, the more I realize how precious those friendships are and how much it matters that we make time for them.
Listening: The Naked and the Famous/Young Blood. Bryan has been listening to this song non-stop, so that means I have too. It’s perfect for a long drive…or a dance party!
Celebrating: The end of Vacation Bible School! Every year VBS nearly pushes me over the edge (hence my hiatus from blogging), but I’m always thankful that we do it. I’m always amazed by how much a loud, energetic, chaotic room full of children looks like the kingdom of God. It truly was a great week…but I’m also glad it’s over!
Loving: Summer…and everything about it. I seriously can’t believe that it’s August already. I love summer—the sun, the lazy days, the adventures. I hoping we squeeze a little more summer fun in before September arrives.